Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday Snap: Just Ducky


My worst nightmare didn't happen: I didn't trip over my own two feet, knocking down several rows of dancers, being captured by fifty-three amateur videographers who then went home and immediately uploaded to Failblog. I did not become an overnight viral internet sensation by being a Dancing Epic Fail. I did not eclipse Light Saber Guy in the land of laughed-at internet people. For this I am eternally grateful.

Also this: the Flashmob was fun. No, more than fun. It was awesome! There's something so energizing about being with a huge group of people dancing the same dance to some great music. The energy was huge, and since we did several takes I'd say it even qualified for a strenuous workout.

Today's Sunday Snap isn't one of my own photos. I couldn't bring my camera along to the Duck Fan Flash mob because I was dancing. My daughter Asa is the one with the black sleeves at the left of the photo in the 2nd row. You can only see my arms (also in a black shirt, several rows back) in this photo. This was taken by Chris Pietsch, a photographer for our newspaper, the Register-Guard.

I think my take-away from this whole experience is that we need to do more than just "exercise", we need to PLAY. To laugh, to jump, dance, run, skip, ENJOY. Sometimes workouts need to be serious, sometimes you have a serious goal. But sometimes you need to cut loose and do a ducky little dance.

4 comments:

juliejulie said...

I LOVE this! So bummed I didn't feel well enough to participate, but super excited to see the video, I'm sure it will be a viral hit! Thanks so much for sharing all of it with us.

Anonymous said...

There was a lot of energy there. So much that in fact I was glad the crowd was willing to perform a forth time. I was one of the official camera guys with Rick Dancer Media Services. Because we had already achieved our core shots I was free to get creative shots on the fourth performance. I was able to get some epic shots and I am very excited to see the final product. I personally know the editor of this gig and the footage is in good hands. We shall see the final product very soon. I'm glad you had a good time and thank you for coming out and sharing your spirit.

Robin said...

I can't WAIT to see the video as well. We had so much fun with it, as did all of our friends that were there. The song was terrific and the energy was really something. I bet the video will be awesome.

Hungry Like a Hippo said...

This looks so fun!! What a cool thing to do with your daughter!

My boyfriend is from Eugene...Ill have to show him this picture.