Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Sugar-Free Dessert for a Winter's Night


In the middle of a cold and rainy winter's evening, there's nothing better than some comfort food. But let's face it, most foods that come to mind are full of sugar and grains. In the last couple of weeks, I've been gleaning apples from trees around town that are just hanging with fruit. Getting to them before the real frosts set in is a must, since after that the apples will be useless. So far I've gotten about fifty pounds worth.

Applesauce may not be what springs to mind when you think of a comfort food, but the way I make applesauce it's more like a warm apple pie without the crust. I like to serve it steaming hot, with just a bit of fresh cream on top. Yumm! I don't add any sugar when I make it. I core and peel the apples, then dice them and throw them in my crockpot with a bit of water and some cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg or other spices. I cook it down until the apple pieces are tender, but not mushy like store-bought applesauce. As my kids say "this doesn't taste like anything you can get in the store!" Best of all, you can freeze it and eat it all winter long. I usually run out just about when the first spring flowers start to poke through. By then, I'm ready for early spring veggies and fruits.

1 comment:

Wanna Be Iron Mommy said...

Yum! I love applesauce, and I love my crockpot. I will be making some applesauce this weekend!