Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Many Cyclists Does It Take To Run a Hairdryer?

I posted a link to this article on my sustainability blog, but I thought it was also really interesting to read from the standpoint of a cyclist. Think about how much energy we generate and how that translates to the real world. Also, wouldn't it be really cool to be part of an experiment like this??? What a workout, sign me up!

How many cyclists does it take to power a hairdryer? The answer's 18, as one family discovered in a unique TV experiment

As a side-note, here's the best instructions I've found online for building your own power-generating bike trainer.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Great point. Imagine the energy benefits of triathletes during offseason channeled through their trainer rides. Or, imagine if a threshold workout had an environmental impact, too. What a wonderful world it would be!