Saturday, March 17, 2012

Countdown to Ironman, Week 14: Damaged, Discouraged, and Depressed

It's raining. For the next ten days at least. And cold. And raining. And my back is not only not better, it's worse. A massage yesterday did nothing to help. Some time every day in the hot tub at the club isn't cutting it either. I'm supposed to spend next week as a "big bike week" doing tons of bike mileage, and I can't even sit up in a chair for an hour without my back killing me. That terrible fear that my injury will take too much time out of training and I won't get enough miles in before Ironman keeps lurking at the back of my mind.

And did I mention it's raining? And cold?

I normally get the post-vacation blues when coming back to the soggy NorthWet in the wintertime, but this is a thousand times worse. I need to go read over some of my old posts where I actually have a good attitude, and kick my mental butt back into shape. That is all.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Ugh, what a drag to have that injury! I hope it gets well in time for bike training. I was just reading your post about surfing and other than the injury, it encompasses exactly what I hope to achieve in my search for all-around fitness. My dream is to always be healthy and strong enough to get outside and do what I love and have my body be ready for anything I might ask it to do. It's an amazing feeling to be able to try an all-day outdoor rock climbing course or go for a long hilly hike and be completely capable of tackling the physical challenge. Your blog really captures that for me and I hope you can find some inspiration from your posts in the midst of recovery and rainy weather!

Ironmom (Julie) said...

You will hate this advice, but it's so much better to be uninjured than to squeeze every last bike mile out of your plan. Take the time you would have been biking and lie flat on your back until you are healed.

Robin said...

@Julie, that is such great advice, and I am taking it. I actually took my bike into the shop for some work. That stops any notions of riding dead in their tracks...

@Liz, thanks! I love to hear what other people are up to with their fitness and fun goals and being ready for adventure.

Robin said...

@Julie, that is such great advice, and I am taking it. I actually took my bike into the shop for some work. That stops any notions of riding dead in their tracks...

@Liz, thanks! I love to hear what other people are up to with their fitness and fun goals and being ready for adventure.

Tracy said...

As a north westerner who is a Hawaii addict myself, I completely sympathize. This weather is awful, depressing and at times feels like it's beating me down. Instead of heading out for my 6-7 mile run, I sit here on the internet hoping for a break in the weather...

Have you tried Active Release Techniques (ART) before? It's a therapy that treats the source of the injury, not just the symptoms. I'm a little prejudiced since I'm a provider myself :), but I got into after finally getting relief for a sports injury some years ago, that nothing else was helping. It might truly help with your back and get you back to moving without pain. I'm not sure exactly where you are, but could give you names of providers in your area if you are interested.

Beyond that, hang in there!