Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Taking the Starch Out Of Our Easter Crepes


Traditions are important in our family, and special occasions often have special foods associated with them. For as long as I can remember, I've cooked crepes for Easter Brunch. I used to make Key Lime Crepes, which in my opinion are just heavenly, but my kids can't stand the key lime filling, go figure! So I switched to berry crepes. This year, eating in a more Paleo manner (and now hubby and daughter are doing the same), I had to revamp the old recipe. Betty Crocker, meet Grok the caveman!

I was a little worried about my no-wheat-flour version of the crepes since often using coconut flour and almond meal creates a grainier texture that doesn't hold together well. So I subbed 1/4 C. tapioca flour for some of the flour and that made a huge difference. The kids and the hubby all declared that these crepes are way better than the original recipe and that I should always make them this way. A new tradition has been born!

Although they are heaven with strawberries or blueberries, these are actually so yummy that you can eat them plain, and I'm thinking they would make a great biking power food, you could wrap up a banana, some almond butter, or something else yummy inside them as well.

Nutty Almond-Coconut Crepes


1/2 C. Almond Meal
3/4 C. Coconut Flour
1/4 C. Tapioca Flour
1 T. Maple syrup or honey
1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. salt
2 C. Milk
2 T. Coconut oil
1/2 t. vanilla
3 large eggs


Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whip eggs and add wet ingredients (tip: when using coconut oil, I make sure to warm it to melting temperature first, and I also slightly warm the milk so that the coconut oil doesn't re-solidify when it hits the batter). Adjust milk content to create a slightly runny batter. Pour 1/3 c.at a time in hot cast-iron skillet and rotate skillet to coat a thin layer of batter in a large area. Flip when golden-brown.

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Those sound so delicious! I don't have coconut flour, so do you think I could substitute whole wheat flour or garbanzo flour??

Robin said...

Well, the original recipe (good old betty crocker) called for wheat flour, so I'm sure that would work if you are not going gluten-free or anything. I don't know how garbanzo flour would taste. Coconut flour has a slightly sweet taste that works well with crepes.

Nancy said...

can i use cocounut or almond milk?

Anonymous said...

I just made these this morning and the kids love them. I served them with a fresh blueberry-maple syrup. I had a few different thicknesses through the process since at first I made the batter too thick but thought it was right. The thinner they are the better they cook.

Robin said...

Nancy, yes, the milk is milk of choice. Coconut milk is thicker so you might need to thin with water or mix half and half with almond milk? You can definitely get this batter too thick to make effective crepes, play around with the thickness as Janasmama says.