Monday, March 02, 2009

First Crossfit Experience


I did my first Crossfit workout this week and so far I really like it. I'm not doing any this week, since my karate test is this Friday and I don't think it would be a good idea to be all sore and stiff before that. I am testing for my brown belt (ulp!)!!!!!!!

Overall, I think it's a great addition to a training routine. For me, I am especially interested in adding strength and power. I know I have good endurance, decent flexibility, and through karate I have been developing my speed, agility, hand-eye coordination, etc. My weakest link is strength. For instance, I cannot do even one pullup, and never have been able to in my life. I don't think I have very many fast-twitch muscles, I'm just a slow-twitch kind of gal. So, since I think we should always push our limiters, Crossfit is right up my alley.

I went to an early morning class, along with several other people. I was impressed by the level of technique instruction and monitoring for good technique. We started off with a warmup, then had some technique instruction on the clean and jerk, just using a piece of PVC pipe. Then we did some standing floor jumps, measuring how high we could jump. I can still jump a foot and a half into the air, not too bad. Before long-distance endurance training and 20-some odd years ago, I had a helluva vertical leap so I think I could improve on my vertical leap again with some practice and strength/power work.

We progressed onto using a medicine ball and the WOD (Workout of the Day) was 21 medicine ball cleans then 21 pullups, repeated 3 times. For me, I used the assistance of a big rubber bandy thing to do pullups which was great because for the first time I could get the feel of the total pullup movement, even though I can't fully support my own weight yet. I made it almost through two repeats, having to stop in the 2nd set of pullups after 16. Still, that's 37 more pullups than I've ever done!

It was a very positive experience with the other people there all encouraging each other and me. I really liked it. I knew I'd be sore the next day, but thankfully I stopped before I really wrecked myself.

I'm looking forward to more workouts!

1 comment:

Coachhrd said...

Good luck in these endeavors! Sounds interesting.