Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just When You Thought A Carbon Fiber Bike Was Expensive

I was checking out the beautiful and amazing-sounding guitar that singer-songwriter David Wilcox was playing tonight. I was looking at it when he was on stage thinking Damn, that looks like he's playing a carbon fiber guitar! The customary blackish-greyish hatchmark pattern glimmered in the light, and who but a triathlete wouldn't recognize that pattern? The first real triathlon bike I ever bought was this Giant Cadex, the first carbon fiber frame I'd ever seen. I think this photo was probably 1989 or so. It was unpainted, and it just looked like a black checkerboard. You gotta love those Scott DH bars on the front end. The first Aero bars I'd ever seen, too. Boy was I a mover and a shaker with that setup! . The neon grip tape too. And that styrofoam Gyro helmet, and white Oakley glasses, yeehaw!

But back to tonight's concert. As it turned out, the guitar was carbon fiber after all. Custom made by Rainsong, it's a David Wilcox limited edition, with a price tag of $3,995.00, which makes a triathlon bike look downright cheap!  Still, when David plays that thing, it's priceless. I dare anyone to go to a David Wilcox concert and not come out with a smile on their face and in their heart. It's like a bicycle on a windless day on the smooth open road. It's like that runner's high that just won't leave. Like the zen you feel on a really good day in the pool when you get out and your whole body sighs in contentment. That's how his music makes me feel.

As a bonus, it was date night with the hubby, a little pre-Valentine's night out. In our 19 years together (OMG, did I just write that?) we've seen David perform many times, and it's always wonderful. In a way, David's music feels like the score to our life's journey together. So in honor of that, I'll share with you some lyrics that seem appropriate for Valentine's Day, something I'd say to any one of my friends, including you. These are from Burgundy Heart-Shaped Medallion, from the album How Did You Find Me Here?

If I had a spell of magic
I would make this enchantment for you
A burgundy heart-shaped medallion
With a window that you could look through
So that when all the mirrors are angry
With your faults and all you must do
You could peek through that heart-shaped medallion
And see you from my point of view

The Ironmom Extra Mile: More than you ever wanted to know about early aerobars!

2 comments:

Trail Smitten Mom said...

Great post. Love your description of how the music makes you feel. Funny that you noticed the carbon guitar. Must say I'm starting to feel like we are living in some kind of parallel universe. My honey & I had date night tonight too & have been together 19 yrs as well.

Unknown said...

Leave it to a type-A triathlete to notice the lovely hatchmarks of carbon <3 (not calling YOU type-
A it's just most of us are...)

Guitars are CRAZY expensive!!