Monday, February 01, 2010

Getting Rid of That Extra Mouth to Feed


Whenever an injury forces me to...erm...I mean... I take some well-deserved time off of exercising, I'm always amazed at how little food my body needs to actually sustain itself.I can eat an egg or a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and not be hungry by 10:30, not even need to eat again until noon! I mean you know that exercise is burning calories, all the books tell you that one, but it's pretty amazing to see in real life the difference between a resting metabolic rate and fueling the exercise regime of a triathlete and martial artist.

Looking at my workout log for January, I've averaged about 15 hours a week of exercise: 7 hours of swimming, biking, and running; 4 - 6 hours of karate, 2+ hours of Crossfit, and some miscellaneous bike commuting and hiking. I guess that adds up to a fair amount of extra fuel needed now that I'm down at zero exercise for awhile.

No comments: