Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pemmican: Maybe I'll Try That Next

Now that I've mastered the powerbar, I might have to turn my hand to something even more primal: pemmican. I just have to wrap my head around things like rendering lard first!

But wait, I also found a recipe on Epicurious that substitutes crumbled bacon for mixing in rendered beef fat. That sounds a lot easier. I love the fact that they included a wine pairing recommendation at the bottom of the recipe!

Which reminds me, I think I need to get myself a copy of Sally Fallon's seminal nutritional bible/cookbook Nourishing Traditions. I've checked it out from the library a couple of times but there's always a long waiting list and really, with a cookbook it pays to keep one around.

I'm also in the middle of reading The Paleo Diet for Athletes, which I was surprised to find out was co-authored by Joe Friel, writer of The Triathletes Training Bible (which I also currently have checked out from the library, oh I love our public library!). Sadly, while the library had a copy of Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet, they didn't have the one for athletes so I went and picked up a copy of that one for myself. What I was really wondering about was what kind of paleo-style carbs to use to fuel my endurance training, and the timing of eating them. I'm still only on the introduction (got it yesterday) but it looks like it's going to be a good resource. I'll post a review when I'm done with it.

No comments: