Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Countdown to Ironman, Week 41: Gearing Up For Rainy Rides

I think I might've doomed myself with that last post about Autumn because now it's drizzling outside my window. Wait, I still have 8 more days of summer left!

But that's got me thinking about what I'm going to need to do this winter: ride in the rain. My bike base is substantially lower than its been in previous years due to this summer's broken arm, and there's only two ways to get it back to where it should be:

Ride on the trainer or

Ride in the rain.

Frankly, I'm not sure which is worse but I'm sure I'll have plenty of both in the coming months. So it's time to start gearing up for outdoor riding, making sure I can stay warm and relatively dry while I pile on those miles.

Luckily, I've spent the last couple of years trying to ditch my rain-weenie biking reputation and have actually acquired some neoprene booties, thermal tights, and a rain jacket and vest, so I should be set. Also fortunately, I swam with the Masters this morning, so I don't have to go out in the rain just yet. I can sit here with my steaming mug of tea, staring out the window and making plans.

2 comments:

jtrimom said...

ugh, Robin, the thought of cold wet rides, blech! I have yet to buy neoprene booties. I think I should be okay, I hope- the really long ones won't start till, what, April? I am still in denial. I have to get through my last 2 races of the season- in 2 weeks and in November. Then I take a week or 2 off "real" training, and only then, will I approach my calendar for specifics :)

Robin said...

Sadly, April is when the rain REALLy sets in around here! LOL. Wow, two more races left - lucky you!