Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunday Snap: Tunneling Into Memories

Memorial Day, a day to remember. Thankfully, none of our immediate family members have been killed in the service of our country, though many of them have served in the armed forces, representing all branches of the service but the Coast Guard. We have Army (my husband and father-in-law), National Guard (my dad), Navy (my grandpa and brother-in-law), Air Force (uncle) and Marines (another brother-in-law). So it was a weekend to hear stories and memories.

It was also a time for reminiscing of a different sort: my mom had planned a big reunion of our family's theatre. Ah, this goes in the Things You May Not Know About Me Category. I grew up in a theatre family. Not only did they own a theatre, but my grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, sister, and I all acted, sang, and danced in the theatre. This was over a span of about 25 years, so there have been many many people involved with the theatre in that time. My mom had  put in a ton of work: getting together posters, playbills, costumes, props, and photos and renting a community hall where we all gathered. It was nice to see some folks I haven't set eyes on in decades, and reminisce about all the fun we had. We also got to tour the new theatre building that is going to be replacing the one we built (which is slated to be torn down for a new thoroughfare).

We also got to spend a lot of time with my dad, hearing his stories of the time he spent in the FBI and some of  the interesting cases he worked on. The kids definitely got a lot of family history all in one fell swoop. My dad is also a big-time railroad buff, so the photo above is from a little side-trip we made up to an abandoned train town and tunnel.

Since I didn't have much time to work out, I forced myself to do a Tabata sprint run today. Ugh, that always hurts! But it's good for an intense workout in a minimum amount of time.

I hope you all got to have some wonderful memories today, whether of a loved one who has passed or from living relative and friends. Memorial Day has become synonymous with barbecues and parties, but it's nice to take the time to spend it remembering as well.

No comments: