Monday, March 07, 2011

Orange Cranberry Paleo Muffins: Recipe Makeover

So much of Paleo food is simply not very portable. It makes you realize why people thought sandwiches were the most amazing thing ever. All of a sudden you've got this messy meat stuff all wrapped up nice and neat and easy to eat with one hand. So with a family on the go, it's sometimes hard to find foods you can take on, say, a family hike.

I got this recipe from a friend last year and liked it pretty well for a tasty snack or meal that's portable. But they were pretty dry and crumbly, so I decided to fix it up a little. The original recipe called for almond meal, eggs, and a bit of honey, vanilla, etc. I spruced it up by adding one more egg and some really thick and creamy coconut milk, as well as some lemon extract. I also switched out the almond meal for a combination of almond meal, hazelnut meal, coconut flour, and flax seed meal. What I ended up with is a muffin with a texture that's closer to actual muffins, but packed with flavor, protein, good fats, and a bit of tasty fruit. Perfect for breakfast, or any time you need a snack out of the house.

Orange Cranberry Paleo Muffins

1 C Coconut flour
1/2 C. Almond Meal
3/4 C. Hazelnut Meal
1/4 C. Flax Seed meal
4 Eggs
1/2 C. Full Fat Coconut Milk (not Lite Coconut Milk)
1/4 C. Honey
1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. salt
1 T. Vanilla
1/2 t. Lemon Extract
2 T. Grated Orange Peel
1 C. Cranberries

3 comments:

juliejulie said...

YUM. Gonna try this!

cherelli said...

yum! I'll have to try that one. I often take "bliss balls" for hikes. Google "vegan bliss balls" and there is a really great recipe first up (I usually substitute pb for other nut butters). I normally keep them in the freezer til I head out for the hike...though they may not fare so well in the Summer warmth...

Christina said...

Sounds yummy. But I just see the ingredient list. Do you have instructions for the recipe (temperature, length of time for baking, what to do with the ingredients)?