Sunday, January 02, 2011

What's An Ironmom Without the Iron?

2011 was supposed to be the year I returned to the Ironman, I had big plans for Ironman Cozumel this November. But in the meantime, this little thing called the Recession hit and (sigh) an Ironman isn't the cheapest thing on the planet. Don't get me wrong, I am one extremely grateful gal. We have our house, plenty of food, a working vehicle, and more than most people on this planet will ever have. We have health insurance and our kids are healthy, happy, and can still do things like dance and karate. So why do I feel like throwing a good ol' toddler-sized tantrum cuz I can't have my Ironman cake and eat it too?

I guess I'm one of those people that once I get a goal stuck in my head it's very hard to let it go. Since Ironman Florida in 2006, I have worked hard at bringing down my half-Ironman times and building up a bigger and bigger base to get ready for this year. Barring any miracles though, I don't think I'm headed for Iron this time around. In fact, for the first time in 25 years, I don't know if I'll do a triathlon at all this year!

So without my biggest of big goals, what do I choose to forge for myself this year? How do I want to challenge my mind and body, yet have fun and keep it within the family budget?? I do have some very big goals out there, so here's my plans for 2011:

1. Black belt test in March - want that Black belt BAD! This is where the bulk of my training is going right now
2. First official trail running race sometime this year, I don't know which one yet, or even what distance, but looking at a local race schedule it looks like I have several options to choose from within 15 miles of my house!
3. Swim the Applegate Lake 10k race (yes, I said swim!)
4. Swim across Crater Lake to Wizard Island with my Masters team (approx 5.5 miles, 58 degrees, no boat support possible, this will be a big endeavor for all of us)
5.Personal trail marathon with friends around Waldo Lake in September

4 comments:

Miles of the Journey said...

I know the feeling, Robin. I didn't have a plan and everyone always says, I am always the man with the plan. And like you, once an idea gets planted, it is hard for me to give up. See you at the finish line. Got a post coming up about plans for the year.

Trail Smitten Mom said...

Those sound like awesome goals. Waldo Lake is a beautiful place to run trails. :) Can't wait to hear about those epic swims you have planned! I love the sports, energy of the races & culmination of training but those entry fees add up. I've had just as much fun & challenged myself on DIY races w/ friends.

Tina Marie Parker said...

You could add: Lend support and motivation through my writing to other fellow triathletes like me!

I like to read you blog daily!

Robin said...

Awww, thanks!