Thursday, January 01, 2009

Another Year, Another Fifty, Another Trip Around the Sun


Another great big fast ride around the sun has come to pass, and to mark the journey I once again set off to the pool on New Year's morning to swim the ritual "year in 50's". Thankfully not 2009 of them, but we did 109 this morning, leaving on an interval of :45. Each of us on this planet is engaged in the business of getting older, something we don't really think much about for a decade or two or three, but as an athlete edging toward the mid-40s, it eventually strikes you that at some point you will cease getting faster and stronger and start getting slower and weaker. As each milestone or race comes along, you wonder not only whether or not you can achieve a PR, but whether its your last one.

So its with not only joy but a small sigh of relief that I note that I felt strong, really strong as we pumped out those fifties this morning. Our Master's coach has been working us steadily from an average 3800 yard workout up into the 4600 range, so this year's New Year's workout didn't feel near as tough as it has in years past. With six of us in the lane, each of us took turns leading ten of them, with a couple of us taking more than one set. I took three sets including the last one and felt faster with each one, bringing in those last 9 fifties in :38 apiece.

I'm hoping that bodes well for this year's season of triathlons, assorted running and swimming races, karate, and other sports. Since 2008's season was beset with injuries at the start, and a schedule of other commitments that limited me to two tris and a running relay, I'm really looking forward to a healthier more intense 2009 season.

This is my hoped-for events for 2009, all subject to time and money, health, luck and fate...

March - 4-week time trial series (bike)
April - Albany Sprint Tri
May - Eugene Half Marathon
July - Hagg Lake Olympic Tri
July - Cascade Lakes Relay (running)
August - Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim
or
- City of Portland Oly Triathlon
September - Black Hills HIM

Oh, and in March I test for my brown belt (karate) so I'll start my year+ of training for black belt. That may suck up most of next year's tri season, so I hope I get to do some good races this year.

Wishing you all a wonderful, fast, and fun New Year!

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

What an awesome way to bring in the New Year! Happy 2009!