Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Countdown to Ironman, Week 26: Santa Brought Suffering

Celebrate Christmas with Pain and Suffering? Only if you're a triathlete, and only if your "Secret Santa" buys you a nine-pack of SUFFERFEST videos. What an exciting thing to get in your stocking (if you happen to like torturing yourself on a bike trainer in the basement all winter, that is).

I downloaded the first of my Christmas Sufferfest videos today, one that's called "The Downward Spiral", and by the time I was done I was thinking it should've been called "Circling the Drain". The whole concept with the downward spiral is that you do sets of intervals, getting shorter and shorter and shorter. Like 2 minutes all out, then 2 minutes rest, then 1:45 all out, then 1:45 rest, etc. until you get down to :15/:15. Then you do it all over again. Wheee! Actually, it made the interval time pass pretty quickly, with good pounding music and visuals from bike races and mountain biking tracks, not to mention some cheeky comments from the video creators stuck on the screen from time to time as motivation.

One thing I really liked is how the video creators thoughtfully included an audio cue to tell you to look up at the screen. So if you're head-down, pedals-to-the-metal cranking out an interval, you know to raise your head at the right time to start and finish the sets. I can hardly wait to try out the other eight videos!

So if Santa only brought you soft and fuzzy things like slippers or snuggies, and you want to kick some serious a** on the bike course next year, treat yourself to some holiday suffering from www.thesufferfest.com .

3 comments:

Jason said...

I am a huge fan of The Sufferfest. I have three of them and they are awesome.

I have A Very Dark Place and Fight Club as well as Downward Spiral and they are all awesome for the exact reasons you listed.

Ironmomma said...

Hmmm... I should get this video. I'm joining my first Ironman 70.3 in August 5 2012 in Cebu Philippines. Which one are you joning?

Sprout (aka Ceril) said...

Hi - just found your blog doing a google search for "paleo triathlete" as I'm making the nutritional change in hopes of a healthier new year and a more competitive year on the triathlete front. Glad to have found you! Good luck on the sufferfest! Off to ride the trainer now (pre-new years party ride) If you have any newbie paleo tips....I'd love to hear them! - Ceril