Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Going Postal

















I've never done a Postal Swim before, but our Master's swimming club has gotten very active this year and they had a sign-up to do it. Ours was for a half-hour Postal Swim, though I guess there are also hour-long options. The half hour was surprisingly difficult as it was though! The idea is to swim as many laps as possible in the thirty minutes. Normally, as a triathlete, I'm not swimming at my top distance speed, since swimming is just the first event. So it felt really different to be swimming as fast as possible for that half hour. By comparison, a tri swim start will now feel downright leisurely!

We had all July to complete the swim (whenever you wanted to, on the honor system), but our pool has been way too hot lately (as high as 84 degrees - ugh!) and the first couple of times I tried it, I just overheated and had to stop. Third try was a charm though and I managed to fit in 85 lengths of our club's 25 yard pool in half an hour, for 2,125 yards. I think this is a great workout for a triathlete because it really pushes you past the normal comfort zone. Give it a try - go postal!

4 comments:

Donald said...

Wow - that's fast!

The postal thing is probably a great workout to do every so often, like a tempo run in the pool. Thanks for the idea.

TRI-ROB said...

That sounds awesome! I especially like the name of the workout! What's your race schedule like for the rest of the year?

teacherwoman said...

I just came across your blog via Wes and just wanted to give you a high five for all that you squeeze into your day! I am a teacher (newer) and I see how things are changing within the public schools.... I wouldn't be surprised if I end up homeschooling my kids by the time I have them....

Robin said...

Race schedule rest of the year: Half-IM in September in Washington, was going to do the Regional Open Water Mile swimming competition but $50 entry fee was more than a bit too steep for just a swim! I think that's it for the season, I generally only have time/money to do 3 - 4 races a year.