Sunday, June 17, 2012

Countdown to Ironman, Week 1: It's Go Time

Whatever is in my body's fitness bank has been deposited, nothing more can be added now. Now it's all about the details - thinking over my race execution, preparing myself mentally, getting together the gear, nutrition, hydration, sunscreen, and everything else I'll need to have a successful day.

I'm in my taper, which means that my body is taking all of that work that I put it through, and using rest to convert it to sheer power and endurance. At least that's how I think of it in my mind. Tapering used to make me crazy and fidgety, but now I just enjoy the feeling of gathering power in my muscles and in my mind.

I don't ask that everything go perfectly (although that would be nice). I simply pray that I am ready for whatever the day has to offer me, and that I may take the time to enjoy the race, the other participants, and the ability that I have to move my body 140.6 miles.

8 comments:

Trail Smitten Mom said...

Best of luck to you Robin! I'll be tracking you and cheering you on from Eugene!

marian said...

have a great race!

Miles of the Journey said...

Great journey, Robin. Glad I got to follow you on it, through this blog. Thanks. And so, I will pray, like you wrote:
I simply pray that I am ready for whatever the day has to offer me, and that I may take the time to enjoy the race, the other participants, and the ability that I have to move my body 140.6 miles.

I think you are great just for getting to this week, this level of fitness. God bless you.

Ironmom (Julie) said...

Good luck@

ThreeBoysFull said...

Hope you have an awesome race!
Laura

Amy said...

Best of luck in the race!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck!! Cheering you on from Seattle and can't wait to hear all the details!

Keen Bean Company said...

Here's to an awesome race! Thanks for taking us on this incredible journey with you :)