Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Countdown to Ironman, Week 4: Paranoia

Ah yes, I remember this phase well. I have officially entered the Ironman Paranoia Zone. That's where you worry about every little thing that could possibly go disastrously wrong, thus wrecking your chances of appearing on the starting line of the Ironman. Witness my continuing battle with the Poison Oak From Hell - it's been three weeks since I contracted this current case. Some people get poison oak like an irritatingly itchy rash. On me, it's more like a deep chemical burn. This is all that's left, but it's still mighty painful, and has landed me in the hospital before. If I got another bad dose, especially someplace like a foot or on my torso, that could literally take me out of the running.

This weekend, moving rocks for our landscaping project (correction: moving boulders), I had repeating visions of a boulder getting loose and coming to land on my foot. There are so many things in this world that could stop you from being able to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112, and run 26.2. You really have to be fairly intact to even attempt such a thing. Here's hoping I stay that way for 3.7 more weeks!

3 comments:

Ironmom (Julie) said...

I can't believe you're not using that as an excuse to NOT move boulders. :) I practically sealed myself in a bubble the month before my race. Best of luck to you! Be sure to post your bib number; you'll be one of several people I want to keep an eye on.

cherelli said...

Wow, only 4 weeks to go! Here's wishing you a safe 4 weeks and a fantastic race!

Miles of the Journey said...

Understand: the fitness you have worked so hard for all these months is like the gold you have mined and now you are about to take it town. There are all kinds of robbers along the way. Stay safe, stay strong. God bless you.